Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Marathon

Whoo-hooo! I ran my third and final marathon last Sunday, took a shower and got on a plane. The flight was delayed, so I got back to Atlanta and dropped into bed at 12:30 a.m. Then I was up at 4:15 a.m. to go live on the radio show for the first time out of Atlanta. Yes, I am crazy. Because then I couldn't walk for three days!

But you learn a lot about yourself running 26.2 miles. Pushing your body to its outer limits is painful, but empowering. The mental game is what keeps you going in an endurance test. Back in 1992, when I ran my first marathon, I told myself, "If this were easy, everyone would be doing it."

This year, several signs encouraged me:

  • Toenails are for wimps!
  • I am Kenyan!
  • You inspire!
  • Finish strong!

And then I prayed... and told myself, "I'm a retiring marathoner." Repeating scriptures also helped.

When you are going beyond your former best efforts... what sayings, signs, adages and scriptures encourage you?

Your marathon may be literal or figurative. Finish strong!

No comments: