Thursday, August 6, 2009

Gifts

Today, two precious listeners to our morning talk show gave me special gifts. Lewis, in the studio from Pennsylvania, brought a handmade quilt from Amish country. It is beautiful. He also brought a neat shell from his dive in North Carolina. And when I got home, there was a package from Duane with fresh ground coffee and homemade jellies and preserves.

While I love to get surprises, I was so humbled that they would take the time to pick out such nice things and take the trouble to get them to me. I felt so undeserving. It's not my birthday, anniversary or Christmas! And I didn't get them anything!

These unexpected gifts remind me of God's grace. We do nothing to deserve his mercy, but he surprises us with blessing after blessing even when there is no special occasion. We cannot earn his mercy, but like Duane and Lewis, God is generous.

No comments: