Friday, February 26, 2010

Walking in Faith

Robyn from Kingsville gave me permission to share her story with you:

"This morning I decided that I needed to get back on my walking schedule. So I bundled up and took off. As I got just to the end of my street I noticed a young woman, who appeared to be by herself, unloading a truck, moving into a house. As I passed I waved and immediately starting thinking of spiritual opportunities. And of course, the obvious physical help it seemed she could use right here and now. I thought of how God, who is always faithful to my prayers (prayed with evangelism on my mind this morning) in that area.

"I continued to walk, thinking that I just got started good, and I really need to take care of my health (before I can take care of others, trying to heed my own counseling words to others). Rationalizing, trying to not feel guilty. So, I walked with purpose and determination, feeling good about disciplining myself toward lowering my cholesterol. At the same time I would not forget about what I might do for this young woman: take her homemade banana bread, welcome her to the neighborhood, invite her to worship services... I made my big loop of several blocks, and as I got close to my street I decided that I would double-back. I said, 'OK God, if she is still there and still unloading furniture, I will need your help to not injure my back,' which was already hurting.

"So, I rounded the corner and headed her way. I could not see if she was still there at first, so I kept walking. Then I could see her standing at the front door, just looking at the sofa, half was in the back of the truck and half on the front porch. I thought, 'OK God, maybe it's not too heavy and we can do this.' Just as I was about one house away, my husband drove up beside me. [He had taken the day off to make some repairs]. I told him what I was about to do, so of course he pulled over, and we went up and met our new neighbor. I held the glass door open out of the their way as they moved the sofa inside.

"I had faith that God would help me, and he sent my husband at just the perfect time. Isn't that cool?"

No comments: