Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence

July 4th--This year, I look at the birth of our nation through a different lens. First, in the past year, I've watched the HBO series, "John Adams." You can buy it or rent it now, and I recommend it. Sometimes it's easier to learn history when you visualize it. Seeing our American story, you appreciate the sacrifices our founding parents made to create this great democracy.

Second, I am working with a man from Australia, who loves his country, but after 20 years here, decided to take his citizenship test. Seeing how hard he has studied and how proud he was to pass the test remind me of the gift I received by simply being born here.

Sure, our country has its challenges. But look at the amazing opportunities, the tremendous resources and the terrific people. We are blessed to be Christians first and Americans second. Let's celebrate the gift of democracy and the freedoms to speak, assemble and worship.

God bless America!

No comments: