Friday, August 3, 2007

Firm Foundation

The Minneapolis bridge collapse and my own near-miss into a mudslick while jogging yesterday remind me that only God provides a firm foundation.

We like to take comfort and encouragement in our modern technology. But a misstep, an accident, a crime, or aging infrastructure can destroy our worldly confidence in an instant. This passage from the Old Testament could be written today:

Habakkuk's Complaint

How long, O Lord, must I call for help, but you do not listen?
Or cry out to you, "Violence!" but you do not save?
Why do you make me look at injustice?
Why do you tolerate wrong?
Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and conflict abounds.
Therefore the law is paralyzed, and justice never prevails.
The wicked hem in the righteous, so that justice is perverted.

The Lord's Answer

Look at the nations and watch- and be utterly amazed.

For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told.

Habakkuk 1:2-5 (NIV)


Like Habakkuk, we cry out to the Lord and all these generations later, he still amazes. Friends, he holds us in the palm of his hand. I'm so thankful that more people were not lost on that bridge. I'm so grateful I did not land in the mud. I'm so comforted that God's promises are built to last.

No comments: