Monday, May 28, 2007

Favorites

Do people ever ask you your favorite Bible verse, story or character? They may be just trying to start conversation, or maybe they feel like they can get some insight into your personality or spiritual status. For example, if you said, "Job," then the questioner might ask if your patience had been tried lately. And if you pronounced it with a short "o," then the inquirer would have an idea of how much Sunday school you'd attended.

When I get asked this, I usually go blank in confusion. I want to say, "I like them all." But I fear that is the wrong answer. For instance, I don't like the story of Jesus' death--it's not a pretty one. But without it, we wouldn't have the story of His glorious resurrection. While that has to be the best and most important story of all, the Bible is full of such great stories, it's hard to pick another favorite.

As for verses, phew, one will be my favorite for a few years, and then I'll come across another one and that one just has to be my favorite. Some people have "life verses." That impresses me. They can commit to a verse for life!

Right now, my favorite verse is Joshua 1:9 (NIV): "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

That probably gives you way too much insight into me.

Here's a funny story about that verse. It was sent to me last summer by my friend Angie. I liked it so much, I forwarded her e-mail to a few friends. My friend Ellen's computer started acting up a few months later, and that message with that verse kept popping up! She lost many of her other e-mails and files, but not that one! God was with her even in a technology crisis.

Here's good news... God is with you even if you don't have a favorite story, character or verse.

No comments: