Friday, July 6, 2007

Isaiah

Hearing from Jan Tennyson about her life-changing ministry reminded me of another organization that makes such a huge difference in kids' lives. It's Big Brothers Big Sisters. I met and interviewed the President of the North Texas chapter a few months ago. He had such impressive statistics about how spending a few hours with a young person each month can keep him or her in school, prevent drug use and more, that I asked my husband if he'd like to be a Big Couple. Being a Big Couple means Mark and I get to share the same little brother -- and spend time together!





To my surprise, Mark liked the idea and after interviews and background checks, we got matched to Isaiah. We have only been his "Bigs" for a couple of months, but we think we got the best end of this deal. Isaiah is sweet and smart and has very nice manners. Mark and I have had the opportunity to do all sorts of fun things we would never do otherwise, like go to Chuck E. Cheese's (and Mark got a migraine!) and we learned that adults treat you nicer when you have a kid along.




You can be a Big Brother or a Big Sister or even a Big Family. It's fun to see the world through a "Little's" eyes. I can't wait to see Isaiah again--tomorrow we go to the movies!

No comments: