Saturday, November 24, 2007

I Need You

The father walked with his three children into the park ahead of me. As I jogged around the trail, I heard a little voice cry out, "Daddy! Come here! I need you!" I turned and saw a fourth little one, this boy no more than three years old. He was trying to climb a pole on the playground equipment and wasn't getting off the ground.

The father was 50 feet away. What he said next was brilliant: "I need YOU! Come on." The dad kept walking, and the little boy ran to catch up. Now you and I know the father only needed the child to be moving in the same direction, so the family could reach its destination together.

Isn't that like our situation? We cry out to our heavenly father: "Come here! I need you!" We want God to come and push us up the pole or rescue us from the high slide. We are in a dilemma of our own making, but He's got other plans for our lives, a better path, and He needs us to catch up to Him.

I don't have any illusions that God needs me, but I hope He will use me. The good news is we will always reach our destination when we turn around and follow Him.

No comments: