Saturday, March 14, 2009

Sandy

This year, my husband gave me the best birthday present--well, second only to the engagement ring he gave me in 1995. Her name is Sandy, and he went to a lot of trouble to surprise me on the air with the new puppy. I cried, I was so shocked and happy.


A year ago, about a week before my birthday, we had to put Daisy to sleep. I'd had Daisy before Mark entered my life, so she was a special friend. Her death was so sad, it was the worst day of our marriage. We'll face worse trials in our future, and compared to what many are going through, it is almost trivial. Life goes on, though, and as I look at this little bundle snoozing on the floor at my feet, I wonder how we waited so long to have another sweet creature be part of our family.


If you need encouragement, consider giving a dog a home. You will learn lessons about God's unconditional love in ways you never will listening to a sermon. Of course, how you react to potty-training may teach you more about yourself than you wanted to learn!


We named her "Sandy" because she was picked up a tiny pup all alone, a stray in the streets. And Sandy is the name of Orphan Annie's dog. Our Sandy was not going to live long if she didn't get adopted soon. It breaks my heart to think this beautiful, smart dog would've been euthanized, as they like to call it.

We look forward to many years of companionship and will always celebrate how this orphan entered our lives and made our tomorrow's brighter.

No comments: