Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Inadequacy

Do you ever feel inadequate? I sure do. Although I try to concentrate my life on the obvious gifts God gave me, I still have to get places (no sense of direction) and eat (can't cook). A sense of embarrassment keeps me from listing all the other things I can't do.

When I focus on the things I can do (talk, listen, encourage), it helps me focus and be more productive. That feeling of inadequacy though, reminds me to surrender and pray. For instance, someone asked me to do something recently that made me feel uncomfortable. It wasn't anything immoral, illegal or out of bounds, just not something in my experiencce that sounded like a fun way to spend time. What made me feel inadequate was that I didn't have the words to explain in a kind way why I didn't want to do this.

Fortunately, God has put friends (and a smart mom) in my life who talk me through situations like this and give me wise counsel. They then remind me that we don't have to be adequate... we only have to serve the One who is.

No comments: