Saturday, March 31, 2007

Take a Stand

Encourage others by not letting bullies get away with victimizing. And just so you know, bullies come in all shapes, sizes, ages, genders and colors.

A decade ago, I sat on a board of a volunteer professional association, and a member of the group failed to get a big project off the ground that would've raised money for the chapter. Despite a heartfelt apology and good justification from the member, the blonde, female president berated and belittled him the whole meeting. Being the youngest and newest person on the board, I didn't say anything, but kept hoping the older, more experienced members would stick up for the guy. Or say something to the president to get her to move on to something more constructive. It was an awkward, uncomfortable night.

After the meeting, we gathered in little groups to talk about how inappropriate the president's behavior was and expressed our sympathy to Jeff, the picked-on member. I asked my older, wiser friends why they didn't say anything to defend our colleague, and their answer was that they were shocked that such a spectacle could happen among professionals.

The meeting changed me. I vowed never again to sit back, silent, when my words could defend or deflect meanness.

This quote from Martin Luther King, Jr. gives me courage to speak out and take a stand: "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Be bold for goodness. Be bold for your faith. Battle the bullies.

No comments: