Monday, June 18, 2007

Floods

It's flooding again in North Texas. My friend Curt moved to Fort Worth in 1959 from Michigan. He says people in his new hometown told him weather would either be drought or floods. So maybe we're just in flood phase.

Texans learn early not to complain about rain. Just a few months ago, the lake beds were cracked, the grass was dead, and we were rationing water.

But today, two people have died in the floods. One was a four-year-old girl who was swept out of her mother's arms as the family evacuated. Let's pray for that mom and her family. The local TV news channels have been showing people sitting on their roofs, reminiscent of New Orleans residents after Katrina. Even though my husband and I have had only a tiny flooding problem compared to theirs, my heart goes out to them. And I'm reminded that self-pity does no good--the situation could always be worse.

I'm thankful for the rain and for the beautiful green grass, flowers, and filling resevoirs. I'm thankful God promised never to destroy the Earth with another flood. I'm thankful that when life sends literal and figurative storms, we have a Rescuer who will never fail nor flee.

And it may be in eternity, but the situation will always get better.

No comments: